Healing of the Blind Bartimaeus (Mk 10:46-52)
Answered Prayer: Dispositions of the Heart
Anthony “Tony” Campolo is an American sociologist, pastor, author, public speaker and former spiritual advisor to U.S. President Bill Clinton. When he was in a church in Oregon, he prayed for a man who had cancer. In the middle of the week, he received a telephone call from the man’s wife. She said, “You prayed for my husband. He had cancer.” I said, “Had?” Whoa, he thought, it’s happened.
She said, “He died.” Campolo felt terrible.
“Don’t feel bad,” the woman said. “When he came into church that Sunday, he was filled with anger. He knew he was going to be dead in a short period of time, and he hated God. He was fifty-eight years old, and he wanted to see his children and grandchildren grow up.
“He was angry that this all-powerful God didn’t take away his sickness and heal him. He would lie in bed and curse God. The more his anger grew toward God, the more miserable he was to everybody around him. It was an awful thing to be in his presence.
“After you prayed for him, a peace came over him and a joy came into him. The last three days have been the best days of our lives. We’ve sung. We’ve laughed. We’ve read Scripture. We’ve prayed. Oh, they’ve been wonderful days. And I called to thank you for laying your hands on him and praying for healing.”
Then she said something incredibly profound: “He wasn’t cured, but he was healed.” (Tony Campolo, “Year of Jubilee,”
Preaching Today Audio, no. 212)
- Persistence. Bartimaeus was makulit. His need was to come face to face with Jesus. More than a sentimental wish, we should have a desperate desire for an encounter with Jesus. This desperate desire is what gets things done.
- Response: immediate and eager. Bartimaeus ”threw aside his cloak, sprang up and came to Jesus.” He came like a shot at Jesus’ call. No excuses, no dilly-dallying. Certain chances happen only once. The key: acting on His call on the moment.
- Knowing what you want. Bartimaeus knew precisely what he wanted – his sight. Indeed, our persistence may come only from a vague attraction to and admiration of Jesus & his wonders. Preparing for this encounter demands self-examination/ knowledge. Going to Jesus as persistent and desperate with a definite need as Bartimaeus, miracles are bound to happen!
- Consistent Faith. Bartimaeus’ address of Jesus as Son of David speaks of his inadequate conception of Jesus. Despite this inadequacy, he had faith, which made up a hundredfold for the inadequacy of his theology. The demand is not that we fully understand Jesus. We can never do that. But the demand is for faith, “that can move mountains.”
- Loving & Grateful heart. Pero, “if I have all faith so as to move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing” (1 Cor 13:2), says St. Paul. Bartimaeus may have been a beggar by the wayside but he was a man of gratitude, for he followed Jesus. He did not selfishly go on his way when his need was met. Similarly, the mother-in-law of Peter, after her cure, started to serve her guests.
Remember how Bartimaeus began with a 1) need, went on to 2) gratitude, and finished with 3) loyalty – indeed, a perfect summary of the stages of discipleship.
May God bless your life with miracles!♥
Prayer for Physical Healing
Jesus, You are the wounded healer, heal me through Your wounds. You are the God, the Ultimate, who alone can heal me. You are Divine Medicine. O Lord! Just say one word, and I shall be healed. Jesus, forgive all my sins and iniquities through Your shed blood. Have mercy on all my ancestors. O Jesus! Send Your Holy Spirit upon me and liberate me from all bondage. Jesus, my only Savior, deliver me from all my sins and sickness. Mother Mary, Mother of Good Health, I cry out to You for Your prayers for the mercy of Your Son to heal me right now! Thank you Mother Mary. Thank you Jesus, Thank you Abba, Father, and Thank You Holy Spirit.
Lord, almighty, merciful, and omnipotent God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, drive out from (name) all inﬂuence of evil spirits. Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, I plead you to break any chain that the Devil has on him (her).
Pour upon (name) the most Precious Blood of your Son. May his immaculate and redeeming Blood break all bonds of his (her) body or mind. I ask you this through the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Archangel St. Michael, intercede and come to his (her) help. In the Name of Jesus, I command all demons that could have any inﬂuence over (name) to leave him (her) forever. By his scourging, his crown of thorns, his cross, by his blood and resurrection, I command all evil spirits to leave him (her).
By the true God, by the Holy God, by God who can do all, in the Name of Jesus my Savior and Lord, leave him (her). Amen.♥